From:
Mary Ballard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:23:05 -0400
Teresa Knutson & I wrote a paper (Dyeing Polyester: Disperse Dyes for
Textile Conservation Work, Harpers Ferry...1988) outlining an easy way to
dye stabilitex to shade very quickly and permanently. It's easy to transfer
the pattern of a quilt, etc. but drawn strength of the polyester yarn may be
compromised by the temperature needed to transfer (fix) the dye. This will
be a problem if you are using the stabiltex or polyester net structurally
(as an upholstery overlay) rather than as a cosmetic improvement. If you
want a copy of the paper, let me know. Mary Ballard

I am working on an embroidered silk, four paneled screen.  Apparently for
years the glass covering one of these silk panels had broken and was missing
in three areas.  As a result, there is now significant fading of a very deep
blue color where the glass is no longer protecting the silk.  My client is
interested in minimizing this fading.

  I am wondering if anyone could share their experience of a similar
problem and how they successfully treated it.

  Thank you so much,
  Jennifer A. Zemanek
  Upholstery Conservator