From:
David Parsell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:28:22 -0500
In general terms, this is how we handle it at the Yale Art Gallery.

1. The three IT people managing TMS and the network are the system admin.

Only the SA can delete object and constituent records.

Only the SA can create new departments and maintain the drop down tables.

The SA has full rights in TMS.

2. Registrars have full editorial rights for all objects and constituents,
but cannot delete object and constituent records.

Registrars can move objects between departments, which the curatorial
departments cannot do.

3. Curatorial departments have full editorial rights to their own object
records, but cannot move object records in or out of their department.

Curatorial departments have view only rights to the rest of the collection
not in their department.

Students performing data entry are given the same rights as curatorial
staff in the same department. It becomes too time consuming to set up
restrictive data entry user IDs for students.

4. Other departments needing access to the collection have view only rights
to the entire collection.

5. A few specialized groups such as Art Handlers, have limited editorial
rights to all objects (move an object, enter dimensions, condtion).

The important points of this strategy.
1. Limit object editorial rights to the department responsible for the object.
2. Limit object department change rights to the Registrar department.
3. Limit object and constituent deletion to the SA.

This strategy works well for us in the object table, but the constituent
table can't be as tightly controlled.

Since all departments use the same constituent file and have editorial
rights to it, we have problems with departments changing constituent
information without anticipating how the changes will impact the other
departments using the same constituent.

Hope this is helpful.