From:
Linda Pulliam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 10:08:16 -0500
Vicki,

We use the component feature differently than you do.

In the case you describe: the tea set would have one accession number (for instance 2000.999), each piece of the tea set would have a sub-number at the end (one plate - 2000.999.18), and each part of a piece would have a letter (sugar bowl with lid: 2000.999.20a-b). There would be a separate record for each piece. If parts of a piece were separated (sugar bowl in storage, lid in conservation lab), a separate record would be made for each (2000.999.20a and 2000.999.20b). This way the locations of each part could be tracked separately, and conservation reports could be linked to the appropriate part.

If any part of the set was deaccessioned, or lent, or put on exhibition, the individual records would reflect that. Fortunately it is easy to make multiple records with TMS. If you have 9.1, you could use the Virtual Record feature as well with the range of numbers as the virtual record number: 2000.999.1-48. You could also relate all the records within the range to the virtual record.

Linda Pulliam
Manager of Collections Information