From:
Patricia Moncrieff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 17:16:51 +0800
Quoting Judy Schwender <[log in to unmask]>:
Dear Judy Schwender,
I am a textile conservator working in Western Australia. Regarding your inquiry
re 'space bags'. I would not store textiles in this way. Textiles need
to 'breathe'. Long term storage in a vacuum seal is not advisable. It is also
important to know the type of plastic that the space bag is manufactured from.
Some plastics 'off gas' and cause discolouration and acidic problems in
textiles. Temperature and relative humdity must also be considered, generally
an environment of not more than 25 degrees centigrade and 50% RH.
I hope this is helpful.
regards,
Patricia Moncrieff
Textile Conservator