From:
Suzanne Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:26:46 -0600
Our collection is broad in nature with Asian, African, Native American,
etc., as well as painting and sculpture. We have constituents for named
artists, manufacturers, culture groups, and geographic locations, in keeping
with the way each curator would want information listed on label copy. This
use of constituents also helps with historical geographic and culture groups
that do not conform to current political borders (such as Gandhara). We do
not use "unknown"; we include whatever regional or cultural information is
available for any given object.

We do not use consituents for time periods because that is more
appropriately placed in the date field. We use the date display field to
include period dates so that we can search on the term (Meiji) or the actual
date range. An example is "Meiji period (1868-1912), late 19th century"
(search dates would be 1875-1899).

Suzanne Stephens
Database Administrator
Birmingham Museum of Art