From:
Jennifer Hein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 19:06:37 -0400
Joyce,
I believe the misunderstanding is from the use of PVA adhesives.
I have a dry cleaner shattered silk lined coat in my lab, that I am
trying to get motivated to straighten.
The task at hand is to apply the PVA emulsion with a squeegeee as a
thin coat to a thin backing material, (Hollytex preferred). This is
used as an underlay to attach as a support fabric, then heat tacked if
needed.

 CCI has performed aging tests on various adhesives and PVA, Jade or
Lascaux 360HV is my preferred PVA. Yes, they are white water base
adhesives like Elmers without the impurities in a gel form. I would
highly recommend the Canadian Conservation Institutes Object adhesive
treatment workshop because the procedure is fairly exacting.
Sincerely, Jennifer Hein
For more information you can email me if you have the summer, as I will
be working on this for a few months. [log in to unmask]

> Hello Conservators,
> I am seeking referral to articles detailing treatment and advice
regarding
> the adhesive consolidation of fragile silk taffeta. Thank you for your
> suggestions.
>
> Joyce Hulbert
> Berkeley, CA

--Jennifer Hein
Preservation Consultant
Historic Object Conservator of Textiles, Leather & Ethnography
PO Box 90379, Indianapolis, IN 46290
317-575-9296