From:
Mark MacKenzie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:48:16 -0600
Hello.  In general, the lower the ambient temperature the lower the amount
of water in the air mass to achive a particular RH.  Sometimes the lowering
of the average ambient temperature or better still the mean tempareature,
enables marginal humidification/environmental systems to hold the desired
RH.

I prefer to try and hold the ambient collection storage temperature toward
the lower end of human comfort.  I expect that it is easier for collections
people to wear a thick lab coat and work in a cooler environment.

Of course, you have to be careful about "dew pointing". Having a humidistat
controlled heating system which comes on if the RH edges up into dangerous
country, drying out the ambient air mass and thus lowering the RH is often a
good idea.

Regards

Mark MacKenzie
--
Mark MacKenzie, M.A.C. (Queen's)
Conservator, Saskatchewan Western Development Museum