From:
Mary Ballard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:13:23 -0400
The American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists (www.aatcc.org )
publishes a Technical Manual annually. It has test methods for the
identification of textile fibers qualitatively and quantitatively along with
a number of other test methods and evaluations. The photomicrographs are
very helpful as are the various schemes for identification, including
solubility. The ASTM Identification of Fibers D276 is also very helpful but
has no photographs
http://www.astm.org/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/index.shtml?E+mystore . For
natural fibers, an investment in Matthews' Textile Fibers, 6th ed. edited
by H.R. Mauersberger. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1954 is invaluable but
might be hard to find on the secondary market.

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/19/05 10:57AM >>>
We are in the process of updating our museum library.  I would like to add
book about fiber identification to our collection.  I would really like one
that
focuses on microscopic identification with images of many different
fibers.
Does anyone know of any good books on this subject?

Thank you!

Jennifer Feik
Associate Registrar
Museum of Church History and Art
(801) 240-0297

This message may contain confidential information, and is
intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it
is addressed.