From:
Mark MacKenzie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 08:50:34 -0600
I can see this issue from both sides but can only give advice as I would do
it.  I am both an institutional conservator and maintain my own practice.

1.  By all means copyright it.

2.  Have you thought of putting your printed matter together as a manual and
getting an ISBN for it?

3.  You can make it available via PDF and limit the copies made and to whom
you have licensed it to quite easily.

4.  A non-printable evaluation copy could also be made availble via PDF
which has a prominent wateramrk discouraging piracy.

5.  If 3 & 4 are done within a generous fee per training workshop (your
print outs in another institutions workshop) it would be quite fair and
defensible.  Most inportantly your current and future rights would be
protected and a certain amount of professional advertising would be carried
out too.

6.  Most institutions pay per department for their photocopying in any
event.  They may wish to take advantage of someone providing the printed
materials at a bulk rate.  You may be able to compete via a local print shop
and add your licensing fee on top.

7.  If you don't work to maintain your copryight and moral ownership you
risk losing all of this within one or two generational/iterations of the
workshop once it is in the "wild".

Perhaps more than my two cents worth (inflation?).

Good luck.

Mark MacKenzie

--
Mark MacKenzie, M.A.C.
Conservator, Saskatchewan Western Development Museum

AND  (my being able to see this from both sides)

Past Ink Publishing
www.pastink.com