From:
Constance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2005 13:38:58 -0800
On Nov 23, 2005, at 12:50 PM, Irene Karsten wrote:
> My question concerns the effects of alkaline buffers that are
> incorporated in most archival boxes.

I would appreciate hearing any of the responses to this question - as
we are also confronting this issue for a large silk collection.

My impression is that, in some limited situations, buffered boxes are
acceptable for silk if the contents are well packed with unbuffered
materials - though not ideal.  We use unbuffered tissue in contact with
the textile and washed soft structure 1443R Tyvek as a secondary
enclosure.  The fiberboard doesn't seem to exhibit the chalkiness of
the buffered tissue, and physical transference of the unbound carbonate
appears to be of less concern.  Though it does not seem advisable to
make a large investment in, nor become significantly dependent upon,
this storage solution for silk collections.

It is the convenience of the ready-to-hand buffered boxes in a variety
of sizes and shapes that has made them so attractive.

In terms of disaster preparedness, I would expect there to be a
vulnerability to the silk textiles if the boxes are accidently wetted.
Although the solubility of calcium carbonate is limited, it would tend
to increase the alkalinity of the wetted materials.  This could be
reversed by rinsing - but some (probably unobservable) chemical
degradation might occur, depending on conditions and time wet.  The
increased pH of such an event would definitely promote bleeding and
color loss - particularly from the silk embroidery - which would be
generally irreversible.

Corrugated polypropylene, such as Coroplast, seems to be the preferred
material for storage of protein fibers and protein objects - and this
is the recommendation we are making.

Is this thinking correct?

Can anyone point me to advice on box making techniques, designs,
fasteners for Coroplast?  (I reordered the CCI technical bulletin on
working with fluted plastic sheet.)

Thanks,

David Walker
Talisman Restoration, Inc.