From:
Constance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 18:12:26 -0800
Dear Veronica et al. -

Triton XL-80N is no longer produced.  (I  believe we purchased the last
55 gal. drum of it in North America some time ago, but there might
still be some stocks of repacked material somewhere).  When looking up
information for "Triton", note that the Triton series began their
career as Rohm and Haas products, became Union Carbide products in 1991
and since 2001 are currently Dow products.  Dow recommends a 50:50
blend of Tergitol 15-S-9 and Tergitol 15-S-7 as a replacement.  This is
actually what we used (in various blend ratios with 15-S-12) before
XL-80N came along.  This 50:50 blend gives a calculated HLB of 12.8
which is similar to XL-80N (estimated at 12-13).  The Tergitol tends to
gel at 40-50% concentration, so we heated it slightly and diluted it to
30% - which is still very viscous (at 20% the viscosity drops
considerably).  We then dispensed and diluted it further from the
concentrated solution at the point of use.  With XL-80N there was no
mixing or dispensing hassles.  It's density was less than water.

When it was taken off the market, we chose to replace Triton XL-80N
with Surfonic JL-80X from Huntsman and have been using it for about a
year.  Both products are ethoxylated/propoxylated alcohols with similar
reported characteristics.  The HLB of JL-80X is 13.1.  The cmc is not
in the technical bulletin, but may be similar to XL-80N (which is 86
ppm at 25 degrees C. - .086 g/L or about .085 ml/L).  A use
concentration of 5-10x the cmc is what we find to be practical for
nonionic surfactants in textile washing applications (depending on many
factors).

Ask Huntsman or your distributor of industrial chemicals for a free
sample - gallon samples (which go a long way) are available.  In the
U.S. we purchase JL-80X from Brenntag Pacific, but Univar and other
industrial chemical suppliers have it also.

And lastly, there is no single surfactant - or cleaning formula - that
can answer the complex requirements of conservation cleaning
strategies.  Unfortunately, most research in this area falters because
it is poorly conceived, not comprehensive or is not relatable to other
studies.  Richard Wolbers work is opening new possibilities and is
providing valuable tools for conservators.  He cannot be commended
enough.

Yours,

David Walker

Talisman Restoration, Inc.