From:
Clarissa Fostel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 10:48:51 -0500
Hope you all can help with this question:

I'm currently writing our TMS standards manual. The Western art
collection consists mostly of American and European pieces, but we do
have a handful of Canadian objects.  Our TMS departments are generally
delineated according to geographic region and time frame (for instance,
American Art before 1945, Modern and Contemporary American Art 1945 and
later, etc).

Since Canadian art does not fit into either American or European
departments, we have something of a conundrum in terms of designating
them. The committee doesn't like the idea of using a more generic term
(North American Art before 1945). I've tried searching American and
Canadian museum websites, but it's yielded little results.

How do you handle this situation when it arises in your museums? Any

Clarissa

Please excuse cross-postings.

Clarissa Fostel
Assistant Registrar
The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art
5401 Bay Shore Road
Sarasota, FL 34243
* Please note new phone number:
941-359-5700 x1504