From:
Patricia Moncrieff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Dec 2005 17:34:24 +0800
Quoting Joanne Hackett <[log in to unmask]>:
Dear Joanne,
I am a textile conservator working in Western Australia. I am not familiar with
this particular type of shawl from Egypt. However, from your description of
shawls of that period from Europe that I have seen here, the metal was silver
and sometimes aluminium which simulates silver but obviously does not tarnish
in the same way. If the metal is not tarnished then I would suggest it is a
metal alloy or aluminium. Hope this is of some help.
Regards,
Patricia Moncrieff
Textile Conservator
Western Australia