From:
Polly Willman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 10:00:18 -0400
Your need for money is irrelevant.

1) Your handouts are a product of your practice/your work effort.
2) You charge fees for other products/services you provide through your
practice.
3) You are not supported by an institution in the production of your
products/services.  If you were, then a request for use of your product
would be processed by your institution and the institution would probably
charge a fee.
4) Institutions are "in the habit" of paying for products/services when
needed to perform their functions.

Therefore, you should expect to paid for the use of your products.  Any
"reservations" you might have in assessing a  fee can be "adjusted"  in the
amount you charge -- i.e.,  in accordance to (a) the time/effort you spent
and (b) the requesting institution's ability to pay.

PS  Another thought -- was a fee to the participants in the workshop you
conducted?  If so, then they were  paying for the time/expenses involved in
producing the handouts.  So ...  if they paid for these handouts, why should
subsequent users NOT pay?