From:
"Burchard, Greg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 15:18:36 -0500
Peter Amsden sent us this info last spring regarding this issue (when we purchased a new scanner and had concerns about Polaroids - I hope this helps as well.  And I hope Peter doesn't mind us sharing his thoughts this way.

...your model, like most of
them, uses a xenon cold cathode light source. Since modern scanners use CCDs
to gather light, the output  needs only to be low because these modern CCDs
(charged coupled devices) are very sensitive.

Experimental work has shown that scanning an artefact will expose it to so
little light, that it will only represent a minuscule proportion of that
expected to fall on it during its life time. I mean billionth's.

Now, you have a concern over some Polaroids, and I know that these are
notorious for fading anyway. Even without light falling on them. I have seen
Polaroid's that have been hidden away for years, and are hardly visible.

Once they have
been scanned, they can be cosseted with all known modern technology, and may
never need to see the light again. But you will have excellent copies, and
this is the thinking behind the preservation of many archives these days.
The British Museum has on display some priceless gold objects from pre Roman
times, but what the public doesn't realise is that the real things are deep
in the vaults. if something appears identical, should we hanker after seeing
the 'real' thing? It is one of those interesting questions. If you were
lucky enough to inherit a Van Gough say, would you hang it on your wall?

I am sure that your scanner will do no measurable harm to
the polaroids. In the end this must surely be seen as the lesser of the two
evils anyway. We are fortunate enough to own a number of Daguerreotypes and
I have scanned those. There is no way that they can be left out on display,
so copies go in the family album for all to see.

http://www.btinternet.com/~amsden/archives/camerasinarchives.html

Greg
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
the warhol:
Greg Burchard
Rights & Reproductions / Photo Services Manager
117 Sandusky Street
Pittsburgh, PA  15212
T 412.237.8336
F 412.237.8340
E [log in to unmask]
W www.warhol.org

The Andy Warhol Museum
One of the four Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh