From:
Jeffrey Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:42:19 -0500
Thank you Dick. I was wondering about that - hoping we could pull & resize on the fly from our media directory (slow as that might be).

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/30/06 03:38PM >>>
Hi Grace.

We have been using Crystal XI for quite a while.  While there is the
annoying limitation that it does not yet run under TMS, there is an
advantage that more than makes up for it: Crystal XI allows you to get the
images from a folder rather than from the database. This means that you can
make a folder that contains images properly sized for reports. While it may
seem somewhat tedious to create yet another copy of each image, it can be
done with a batch action in Photoshop.

In brief, here are the steps we used to get consistent images in reports:

Create a folder called something like \reportimages
Create an action in Photoshop that:
 - opens each of your high res images
 - resizes them to 240 pixels per inch and 3.5 inches in height. (Be sure to
check the resample box.)
 - saves them in \reportimages\ with a filename that you can construct in a
formula in the following step
         [this action can be a little tricky -- feel free to call us for a
sample]
Change the Crystal report to:
 - insert an OLE object rather than the thumblob from the DB; the "graphic
location" should be contain a formula that builds the filename of the file
in the \reportimage folder.

The images now print perfectly either directly out of Crystal XI or through
Adobe Acrobat.

Dick Grant

The Richard Diebenkorn Catalogue Raisonné
3200 College Avenue #2
Berkeley, CA 94705
510-428-1400
510-459-4556 (mobile)