From:
Carole Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 11:03:45 -0800
Hi Jean,

We create variables in our reports.  They can store all kinds of data including values and bring them into your Main Report.  They also don't slow down run time with your reports which linking on formulas can sometimes do.

Here is an example:
In your Subreport create a formula called Set Total Value:
Shared NumberVar TV := SUM({OBJINSURANCE.VALUE});
TV is a randomly assigned setting which to me means Total Value.

Then in your Main Report create a formula called Get Total Value:
Shared NumberVar TV;
Make sure your Subreport is located in a section that comes before you use the value you assign in the Main Report.  So if your Subreport pulls in values from the Detail section and you want your total to appear in the GroupHeader instead of the GroupFooter it will not work.

Also, I would recommend resetting your variable.  Then in your Main Report create a formula called Reset Total Value:
Shared NumberVar TV := 0;
This formula is created and placed in the Main Report in an area that comes after you have printed the TV value.  This will reset the value back to 0.  If you don't and the next loop comes up with a null the value will stay the same value as the previous value.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.
Carole.
--