From:
Brenda Podemski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 16:44:29 -0700
>>> Chad Petrovay <[log in to unmask]> 5/10/2007 10:59 AM >>>
<snip>
>> Can anyone share the naming convention their institution has adopted for
>> digital image assets, or the standards for image resolution that they
>> are using?

Hi Chad,

Here at the Getty Museum we have several naming conventions depending on the type of image.

We base our object-related images off the TMS Objects table field OBJECTID (i.e. the unique numeric identifier that is automatically assigned to each object record), left zero-padded to six digits followed by a two-number suffix denoting the type of image:

  00012300.TIF  (objectid=123, 00 indicates the raw source image)
  12345601.JPG (objectid=123456, 01 indicates color corrected low-res version)

This convention is used for primary views of the object.  For other views (back, interior, with doors open, etc.), technical views (X-rays, ultraviolet, etc.), or detail views, we use the same OBJECTID root plus different letters to differentiate between the types:

  123456D1V0.TIF  (objectid=123456, D1 indicates the first detail view, V0 indicates raw source image)
  000123T2V1.JPG (objectid=123, T2 indicates the second technical view, V1 indicates color corrected version)

Using the OBJECTID was a conscious choice, as our object numbers can change over time and may include periods, spaces, dashes, or other characters that don't make for good filenames.  The OBJECTID is strictly numeric and remains constant for the life of the record.

Doing so has also enabled us to more easily link data in TMS to our Digital Asset Management (DAM) system.  Earlier this year we rolled out a TMS-to-DAM integration that links media records to object/artist/exhibition/rights metadata from TMS.  A nightly mapping process parses media filenames from the DAM against TMS data via OBJECTID, and links to the appropriate data when a match is found.

We follow a similar convention for artist images, using the CONSTITUENTID as the filename root (to five digits) and adding an "A" prefix to show it is an Artist image:
  A00123N1V1.JPG

Best,

Brenda

~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~
Brenda Podemski
Business Applications Administrator
Collections Information
The J. Paul Getty Museum
www.getty.edu

v.  310-440-7087  |  f.  310-440-7752  |  e.  [log in to unmask]

>>> Chad Petrovay <[log in to unmask]> 5/10/2007 10:59 AM >>>
The Walters Art Museum is undertaking a digitization project to coincide
with our transition to TMS. However, we are currently stalling in the
area of policy making governing how information is entered, and in
particular, how images are named.

Can anyone share the naming convention their institution has adopted for
digital image assets, or the standards for image resolution that they
are using?

Many Thanks! ~Chad

Chad M Petrovay
Collections Database Administrator
The Walters Art Museum
600 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD  21210
P: 410.547.9000 x266
F: 410.837.4846

www.thewalters.org <http://www.thewalters.org/>

Exhibitions:

Gee's Bend: The Architecture of the Quilt on view June 15 - August 26

Linda Day Clark: The Gee's Bend Photographs on view June 15 - September
2