From:
Sarah Clayton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 09:26:46 +1000
The showcases the silicone mannequins will be displayed in are
Netherfield's. They are very well sealed with, you  guessed it, silicone
rubber seals.

Since posting, I have been able to speak to the manufactures of the
mannequins and have started an Oddy test.  The manufactures are happy to
use an addition cure silicone instead of condensation cure silicone. My
understanding is that addition sure silicone does not have the same off
gassing issues as condensation cure silicone. They are also willing to
not include any silicone oil in the production of the mannequins,
this is usually added for flexibility and can leach out over time. And
finally the addition cure silicone are painted with pigments mixed with
the silicone rather than oil paints.  All good news.

The Oddy test on the condensation cure silicone has been running for
about four weeks now.  We have some white corrosion appearing on the
lead tokens, which has not been identified as yet. The silver and copper
tokens remain untarnished.

Sarah Clayton

Senior Textile Conservator
Australian War Memorial
PO Box 345
Canberra ACT 2601
Australia
phone: +61 2 62434420
fax: +61 2 62417998
www.awm.gov.au
>>> Mary Montgomery <[log in to unmask]> 28/03/2007
4:43 am >>>
I would think that the situation could also be affected by how well or
poorly the cases are ventilated.

Mary Montgomery
Museum of History & Industry, Seattle