From:
"Frisina, Ann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:35:23 -0500
Hi everyone.

I use a pipette on a regular basis.  It is not uncommon for me to execute very small samples when testing colors or creating a dye library.  My results are usually very consistent.  I always  measure to one level above, i.e. .3ml and release only .2 ml for an accurate consistent amount.

My problem is uneven dye application.  I have often resorted to increasing the water ratio allowing the fabric more room to move and spread out. Unfortunately I don't have a hot plate large enough to always do this limiting the yardage I can dye. Anybody have any low cost solutions short of buying a stove?

Ann Frisina
Textile Conservator
Minnesota Historical Society
345 Kellogg Blvd. W.