From:
Constance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:36:24 -0700
In addition to the variable controls on the vacuum and the choice of
gauze or screening - we also control the intensity of the vacuum by
using the micro vacuum brushes at a 45 degree angle to further reduce
the vacuum.  Using the vacuum tools (drapery brushes, etc) at an
angle (sometimes turned almost parallel to the surface) allows more
air intake and is much easier to control than trying to maintain the
tools some fraction of a distance above the textile.  Choice of type
and length of bristles is also important.  Alternatively, carpet
cleaner equipment shops also sell a short tube with holes covered by
a slider that is placed in line (it sticks into the hose cuff) to
regulate the vacuum further by opening and closing the holes.  We
also trim the bristles on the vacuum brushes to produce tools
suitable for a variety of situations.

On one of our very powerful Roots blowers for the vacuum table and
the vacuum spotting board, the vacuum is controlled with a three-way
ball valve that can be easily adjusted to pull different amounts of
air from a side line (with a muffler and silencer on it) - thereby
breaking and decreasing the vacuum.  The large motor for the blower
is a fixed speed motor and cannot be regulated with variable voltage.

David Walker
Talisman Restoration, Inc.