MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
Julie Mulvihill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Museum on Main Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:08:50 -0600
Hi Arden.

I don't know if I'm answering your question but here goes --

There are several ways that we look at exhibit host sites here in
Kansas.  For us, the location process begins when we send out a Call
for Hosts.  On this announcement we provide the minimum requirements
for hosting the exhibit.  This is the information that MoMs provides
for us (indoors, amount of square footage, no natural light directly on
exhibits, etc).  We eliminate any site that does not meet these minimum
requirements.

The proposals are then looked at for geographic distribution and
community involvement.   For us, we've decided that it's not as much
about the site but rather more about the community involvement.  Is
this more than a 1-person, or even a 1-organization, commitment?  Are
the 6 selected locations distributed across the state?  We've had good
luck with sites  that are museums, libraries, and art centers.  All
bring different strengths to the project.  All bring different
challenges.  In Kansas, libraries and art centers generally have a
better site (defined meeting space, better lighting, better parking,
better visibility), but do less in terms of companion exhibits.  On the
other hand, museums do a great job with companion exhibits, but usually
have difficulties with the space (museums in Kansas have a lot of
"stuff" on display and sometimes have no extra storage space to move it
to).

Once we select the six, I visit each site that I'm unfamiliar with to
check that the exhibit will fit, that there's room for a companion
exhibit, the lighting is adjustable, the location is clean and secure,
there is available parking, adequate bathrooms, handicapped accessible,
and so forth.   It's also a good chance for us to meet the proposed
local coordinator and visit about community involvement, key committee
members, and topics that may help give me the sense that this site will
succeed.  Truthfully, sometimes I've been right and sometimes I've been
wrong.

However, I will add that as the MoMS exhibits get better, but bigger,
the sites have had an increasing problem with what to do with the empty
shipping crates.  MoMS gives lots of helpful suggestions, but I've
watched many of our sites scramble to secure an empty garage or other
space.  This is something that I hope to include in our next call for
hosts and something that I definitely plan to address on future site
visits.

Regrettably, I can't think of anything that "speeds up" the process!

Julie M.