From:
Marei Hacke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2008 18:28:55 +0100
Vinyl is simply a general term for a wide variety of synthetic
materials with hugely varying properties. For example
polyvinylchloride is comparatively unstable while polyvinylacetate is
a pretty stable material and then there is also polyvinylalcohol and
many blends of these polymers with each other or with polymers such as
acrylonitriles. You mentioned vinyl textiles - I would guess that they
are vinylacetate rather than a vinylchloride as I have only every seen
PVC coatings or sheets but not PVC fibres (but I might be wrong about
that). You can do a simple flame test to determine whether you are
dealing with PVC: Heat a copper wire until it glows red. Touch the hot
wire to the plastic to melt a small amount of the plastic onto the
wire. Return the wire tip with the plastic attached into the flame. If
the material is PVC, a bright green flame will be visible.
I am not sure if a polyvinylacetate fabric would really last 100 years
but it would certainly last a lot longer than PVC. The adhesive
Mowilith which is widely used in textile conservation is also a
polyvinylacetate polymer and is generally regarded as stable. Once
vinylacetate breaks down it does give off acetic acid though - so it's
not a 'perfect' conservation material.
Best wishes,
Marei

Marei Hacke PhD