From:
"Essam, Gillian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:39:35 +0100
Hi Brenda,

Please find below a response to your questionnaire from the National
Gallery, London.

1.  What platform is your TMS database?  (Oracle or SQL Server)

GE: SQl server

2.  What platform is your eMuseum database? (Oracle or SQL Server)

GE SQL server

3.  The standard data refresh process is comprised of several steps
(make snapshot, thumbnailer, full-text concat).  How are you running the
refresh process on your eMuseum data?  (Manually executing?  Via Windows
batch file?  DTS?  Other?)  And why was your particular method chosen?

GE: To update the views that hold the data we schedule a regular job via
SQL Agent that runs on the hour every hour; we chose this method because
it is easy and does what we need. We don't use the thumbnailer because
our Photographic Department supplies thumbnails. We don't use the free
text search

4.  Approximately how many records are being exported into eMuseum?

GE: 2500 object records

5.  Who are your eMuseum users? (internal staff? external internet
traffic? something else?)

GE: Internal staff. eMuseum is accessible from the home page of our
intranet.

6.  What are your thoughts about user satisfaction/experience with the
application?

GE: We don't have much information about this, but anecdotally we know
that staff love the customised image download functions. We are also in
the process of developing web pages on the intranet outside eMuseum to
display complex shared information about the exhibition and loan in
process. eMuseum did not provide the right framework for this. As we are
fortunate enough to have a web developer in-house it may be that we
continue developing intranet web pages outside eMuseum to the point
where we no longer need it.

7.  What kinds of customizations did you implement?

GE: Quite a bit, e.g.
- Redesigned some pages, added and removed fields
- Re-wrote Help screens
- Changed default display of results and added sort orders
- Added display of relevant exhibtion venue data for any scheduled move
on object page
- Added link from object to an in-house application to zoom, crop and
download images for non-commercial purposes.
- Added link from object to an in-house catalogue of image assets held
by the Photographic Dept
- Added link from object to catalogue entry on our public website
- Added link from object to pages of restricted TMS data, viewable only
by designated users

8.  What kinds of services/support did GS provide for your project?

GE: We developed customisation in-house and sought advice on any
problems encountered from GS

9.  Any other comments about your eMuseum development experience that
might be useful to someone following in your shoes?

GE: Document all your customisations meticulously because you will need
to re-apply and test them every time you upgrade to a new version of
eMuseum. Automate the process of re-applying them as far as possible.

I hope this is useful,

Gillian Essam
Collection Information Manager
The National Gallery