MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
"Robert G. Buss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Museum on Main Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 2008 09:05:27 -1000
Mary,

Your class sounds very interesting.  A reference you may want to look at, if
you want to add something on the Christian/religious notion of food:   I
recently read a short book by cultural historian Garry Wills called "What
Jesus Meant." One chapter deals with "the heavenly banquet" and talks about
how the feast as a metaphor for love -- and why the miracles often end with
such abundance -- way too much wine or bread or fishes than is called for.

Hawai'i is also about to begin it's "Key Ingredients" state tour.  We are
publishing a book called "We Go Eat: A Mixed Plate of Hawai'i's Food
Cultures."  I'll send you a copy when it's published -- just in time for the
grant opening at the end of June, naturally.  You know how it is with
getting things done early.

Take care.

Bob

--