From:
"Dr. Elizabeth A. Richards" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2008 16:35:25 -0600
Hi everyone.

Mari is describing the Beilstein test.  It is the cholrine that gives the
bright green flame.  You can do the test with a candle if you have to, but a
hotter flame, with a bunser burner in a lab, or a gas stove is better.

Polyvinylchloride's most common use is in film form. A film would be used to
coat a textile substrate.  One typical example is rainwear.  However in the
1970's and 1980's the fiber was used for draperies.  PCV is not flammable,
although it melts at a very low temperature.  The PVC draperies were used in
commerical applications where acrylic draperies could not be used, because
of the flammability of acrylic.  I don't think just by looking you could
tell the difference in the yarns, as the PVC yarns were soft like acrylic
drapery yarns, and the aesthetics of the draperies were very similiar.

Elizabeth A. Richards, Ph.D.,P.H.Ec.
Professor Emerita
University of Alberta
780 - 433-3782