From:
diana zlatanovski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 15:51:23 -0600
Hello

For approximately 8 months, part of our textile collection will be
stored in a room without a dedicated HVAC system.  It is a room within
a heated/cooled brick building and there are no windows in the space,
which should help buffer the outside climate.  I am definitely
planning to put a dehumidifier in the space for the summer months and
had been planning on getting a humidifier for the winter, as the RH in
the space right now is 13%.  Is that the best plan of action for
minimizing stress on the textiles?  I know ideally, we need to keep
the humidity at a constant rate near 50%, but if that is not possible,
how unacceptable is having the textiles (in archival boxes) at the
ambient winter RH levels, around 10-20% for a couple of months?  How
fast or slow is moisture equilibrium for textiles?

Thanks!
Diana