From:
David Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 2009 15:40:57 -0700
Julie,

I would recommend taking an introduction to Crystal training first.  TMS uses Crystal Reports XI.  Crystal Reports is a very powerful reporting package, but it has a bit of a learning curve.  You will want to utilize Gallery Systems training to learn about the specifics of reporting on TMS.  Reporting in TMS is a tricky prospect, especially when it comes to joining the tables together.  Although the Gallery Systems trainers can answer your questions about how to use Crystal Reports, you'd be wasting your money having them do that for you.  You're much better off tapping their knowledge of TMS specifically.

If I were in your shoes I would do some basic Crystal training and then once you know how to use Crystal to connect to tables and do basic report layout, I'd start doing simple reports based on single TMS tables. Objects comes to mind.  Just get used to dragging fields onto the screen, setting up record selection qualifiers, parameters and other basic tasks like that.  Once you're comfortable doing that you can then contact Gallery Systems about some specific reporting questions you might have.  You can always look at the canned reports that come with the system too.  It has been my experience that a lot of them are fairly complex, especially in terms of grouping.  They probably aren't the best learning tools if you aren't already familiar with Crystal and TMS.