MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
Julie Mulvihill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Museum on Main Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:08:46 -0600
Shelley:

Kansas has used RFP language almost identical to North Dakota.  It has
served us well.   Kansas is then able to calculate increase in
attendance based on the numbers the hosts provide in their final close
out reports.  For example, we just finished the Between Fences
exhibition.  All six host communities saw significant increases in
attendance when comparing the attendance numbers for the 6 weeks of the
exhibit with the same time period the year before.  In some instances,
the attendance more than doubled. We also were able to determine that
50% of all visitors to the exhibit were from outside the host
communities and 25% of all visitors were schoolchildren.  These are
figures that we promote when requesting funds from the State of Kansas,
as well as private donors.

When selecting sites we try to find evidence that there is broad
community support.  North Dakota's question below - - the one about
listing 3 potential partner organizations -- has proven to be a good
indicator for Kansas.

And yes, Kansas has hosted a MoMS exhibit in an arts center and it was
wonderful.  The arts center, in this particular community, really did
serve as the community center and was well-known and well-used by folks
both in and out-of-town.  The companion exhibition was creative and
thoughtful.  Kansas provides at least 2 free humanities speakers for
each of our tours so that regardless of the venue there is humanities
content happening.   We often create and provide free reading
discussions too.

Julie Mulvihill