From:
Kim Baird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 19:55:28 -0600
I'm trying to help a private museum that has many leather flight jackets from the 20th century. Most have painted badges attached, or painting directly on the leather.

The staff would like to keep them in their current condition, but their boss is insisting they should treat the leather. I have referred them to the National Park Service Conserve O Gram 9/1, Leather Dressing: To Dress or not to Dress. However, that information is from 1993 and earlier. I wonder if there is some more recent research they could cite.

Or, is there an acknowledged leather expert in the museum world to whom I could refer them?

Thanks for your help.
Kim Baird
Textile historian