From:
Ryan Donahue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2010 18:34:54 -0500
Hi Stephanie,

We are investigating using this as well.  Our current practice is
primitive: we cram collection data into ITPC 1.0 spec fields.. it's
less than perfect, but we're investigating ITPC 1.1 spec, and that may
be more suitable.  Another option is to go for a custom schema (a few
institutions have these, I believe), in XMP metadata.

For us, metadata writing is a feature of our DAM, which gathers the
information from TMS directly.

There are challenges, for sure.  Lots of image libraries and programs
love to silently trim the metadata from images (one example: apple's
preview and iphoto are notorious for removing xmp metadata).  All in
all, it has thusfar proven to be more stable than the image+sidecar
metadata file method.

Seems like it's a great way to share data too.. I think ArtSTOR has
done a little bit of work with this.

-Ryan
George Eastman House