From:
Peggy Derrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:53:41 -0600
Greetings Texconners,

My institution is looking into purchasing a snow melt product called
"Hyper Melt" to replace the salt (sodium chloride) presently being
used on the sidewalk at our historic home, in the hopes of reducing
the salt being tracked in onto historic and (expensive) reproduction
carpets. I'm told that the ingredients are urea nitrite and dolomite.

Even my non-chemist gut reaction is that I may not want urea nitrites
deposited in the house. Am I right? Can anyone give me a technical
reason why that I can use to discourage this purchase, if indeed I
should discourage it?

Thank you--and by the way, if I've never said it before: I love this
listserve and am very grateful for the wonderful advice you always
share with me!

Peggy Derrick,
Curator, La Crosse County Historical Society