From:
Deirdre Windsor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 13:01:54 -0500
Beth,

In addition to the Test Fabrics, Chevalier in Paris weaves galloon. I
have not looked at samples or explored this option as they were not up
for manufacturing it when I contacted them and it is expensive. I opted
to work with Pat at Thistle Hill weavers to produce warp-faced and
weft-faced rep weave fabric around 4 inches wide woven on a tape loom.
As Pat will attest, it is harder than one might think to get the right
thread count and a good selvedge. The final product was close to what I
was after for the warp-faced fabric but it wasn't quite dense enough so
there was some shirring which became more pronounced when dyed. He was
not able to achieve the weft-faced version. I think he learned a lot
though through this experience and I think is willing to figure the
technical aspects out. He is great to work with and willing to do small
amounts relatively speaking for a commercial operation. Another fabric
you should look at is the Creation Baumann, Indiana II line which
resembles a rep but is thinner. It is cotton however but for the
application you describe may work if the weave is fairly fine. I would
also be happy to send you pieces of the fabric Pat wove. If you need
some for a specific project and the gauge is correct, it may be enough.
Give me a call.

Deirdre Windsor