From:
Jane Wild <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:14:33 +1100
Dear Veronica,
According to Andrew Wingham' final year research project; Synperonic N The Search for an Alternative(2000-2001), the critical micelle concentration (CMC) for Triton XL80N is 0.553 g/l which does fall between the suggested concentrations in Chemical Principles.

Wingham uses Triton XL80N in the first phase of the research but eliminates it based on its pH. This surfactant has a large pH range (4.03- 6.36) when used to wash both cotton and wool, and was therefore considered unsuitable for washing historic textiles. The cleaning properties were also considered to be poor to OK.

I hope this is of some help. Happy washing.

Jane

Jane Wild
Textile Conservator
National Gallery of Australia