From:
Mary Ballard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:37:22 -0500
Judy Schwender: Do you really want to use something in your galleries that
lists as an unusual hazard that its "dust/air mixture may explode"? Sodium
bisulfite is a mild reducing or stripping agent; its eventual oxidation may
release sulfuric acid. It may be that the compound is described in its
pre-polymerized components: formaldehyde has a very low TLV (if you can
smell it, it's now way over the limit); melamine is the English trade name
term for formica. Maybe you should talk directly with a P&G technical
representative--or your paint store. Best wishes, Mary Ballard

Greetings-
  We would like to spot clean some walls in our quilt gallery, and the Mr.
Clean Magic Eraser has been suggested by a board member.
  According to the Material Data Safety Sheet (found at
http://www.pg.com/content/pdf/01_about_pg/msds/fabric_and_homecare/hard_surface_cleaners/Mr_Clean_Magic_Eraser.PDF)
  this product contains formaldehyde, melamine, and sodium bisulfite
copolymer.  We would spot clean drywall that has been painted with latex
paint.  Nearby quilts would not be removed during application.  Quilts might
be hung over treated areas at a later date, perhaps 4 months from now.
  Does anyone have any experience with this product?  Do you have any other
suggestions for products that would safely work?
  Thank you so much-
  Judy Schwender
  Curator of Collections / Registrar
  Museum of the American Quilter's Society
  Paducah, Kentucky
  USA
  270-442-8856  x30