From:
kim baird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:27:47 -0500
Wool and silk are both protein fibers.

The biggest difference in their chemical composition is that silk
contains NO SULPHUR.

Wool contains the amino acid cystine. This amino acid has 2 sulphur
atoms, which form a disulphide bond. This is also why wool, and not
silk, is attractive to moths, who for some reason like this cystine
linkage.

Refer to Mechanical Properties and Structure of Alpha-Keratin Fibres:
Wool, Human Hair and Related Fibres by Max Feughelman, Univ. of New
South Wales Press, 1997.

Kim
(fresh from a Textiles Analysis course)