From:
Joanne Hackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 2009 10:33:40 +0100
Hi Jane,
I think that robe is either Syrian or Moroccan.  There is one just like it in the collection of the Indianapolis Museum of Art and it was shown about three years ago in their exhibition of wedding garments.  I suggest you contact Niloo Imami-Paydar, the curator of textiles at the IMA, who would be able to tell you.

Joanne Hackett
Victoria and Albert Museum

>>> Jane Wild <[log in to unmask]> 21/05/2009 01:05 >>>
Dear textile conservators,

We would really appreciate some help with identifying an elaborate robe.

I have attached a link to some pictures. The robe is made from yellow
silk and embroidered with silk floss threads.

It has really interesting buttons that lock together.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davemcdave/

Please feel free to email me with ideas or questions.

Thank you.

Jane

Jane Wild

Textile Conservator

National Gallery of Australia

GPO Box 1150

Canberra  ACT  2601

Australia

Ph: 61 2 62406685

National Gallery of Australia is an Australian Government Agency
NOTICE - This email and any files transmitted with it contain information that may be privileged and confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the email and notify us immediately.

Baroque: Style in the Age of Magnificence
Supported by the V&A Director's Circle
Until 19 July 2009 at V&A South Kensington
Book now on www.vam.ac.uk

Snozzcumbers and Frobscottle! - The Wonderful World of Roald Dahl and
Quentin Blake
2 May - 6 September 2009 at the V&A Museum of Childhood
Admission Free

Keep in touch - visit www.vam.ac.uk and sign up for our regular
e-newsletter

The information contained in this message is confidential and intended only
for the individual named above. If you are not the intended recipient,
or responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or
disclosure of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
have received this communication in error, please notify us by telephone
on 020 7942 2353. This message has been scanned for viruses by the
MessageLabs Email Security System.