From:
Sarah Lowengard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2007 07:46:27 -0400
Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions.

The truth is, if you are in the US, and you are not a member of the
European conservation circles, then locating names of conservators
anywhere in Europe is at best inefficient. While a search on google.fr
or even google.de may easily return the names of conservators in France
this is not the case for google.com. In this, I do plead excessive
American-ness as I checked only US-based search engines.

I had emphasized that this was a very small task. It is not for a client
of my own, but based on a query from a colleague of a colleague in
another field. I could not find a central referral system for French
conservators to which I could direct this person. It seemed to me more
efficient to ask if someone who read this list might want to take on the
job.

A few people responded --yes, mistakenly, and occasionally to the group,
but it does happen--with names of European-based mutual acquaintances.
When I was more directly engaged in this discipline, and when there was
no simple outlet to reach large numbers of conservators, I might have
queried these people. This time, it was not necessary.

As a result of my posting I did hear from about 5 Paris-based
conservators who said they might be available. I sent those names to the
person on whose behalf I had asked. So, ultimately, a query here /was/
the most efficient way to find a textiles conservator, in  or near
Paris, interested in taking on a very small task.

Again, thanks to you all.

Sarah

Sarah Lowengard
New York City