From:
Ozge Gencay Ustun <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2012 22:33:45 -0800
Thank you Scott for the clarification: There was no corrosion caused by the vapors of the polyethylene foams in our tests. We specifically have half of our coupons touch the material and half of it just exposed to vapors (i.e no contact). This way we could clearly observe the corrosion when in contact. The areas on the coupons that did not touch the foams were in very good condition.

We also tested Volara -a fine-celled cross-linked foam, and observed that it did not corrode the metals when in contact or no contact. Therefore we use it as a layer between the object and open-celled polyethylene foam products. Moreover, it has a smoother surface which does not abrade the surfaces of hard objects.

Ozge

On Feb 27, 2012, at 11:20 AM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> [...]
> relative humidity.  I am not so sure if they are a problem in dry
> conditions, or that they are volatile enough to cause vapour phase
> corrosion such as measured by the Oddy Test for volatile corrosive
> products.  In any case, Ozge's  decision to avoid direct contact of thin
> polyethylene sheets with metals is certainly safe.  I am curious to know
> what he uses as a "layer that doesn't affect metals".
>
> Remember that, unless they specifically mention contact experiments (as
> Ozge did),  when people report the results of Oddy Tests, they are
> reporting on the corrosion caused by volatile corrosive products emitted by
> the tested material, and not the results of corrosion caused by contact
> with the tested material.  These are two very different conservation and
> corrosion scenarios.   I think a dilute sodium chloride solution would pass
> the Oddy Test (no corrosion of metal by vapours from the solution), but it
> would certainly corrode metals by contact.
>
> Scott Williams
> Senior Conservation Scientist (Chemist)
> Canadian Conservation Institute
>
> Textile Conservators <[log in to unmask]> wrote on 2012-02-24
> 04:16:04 PM:
>
>> From: Ozge Gencay Ustun <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> Date: 2012-02-24 04:16 PM
>> Subject: Re: Ethafoam
>> Sent by: Textile Conservators <[log in to unmask]>
>>
>> Part of the question started because of our Oddy Test findings here at
>> the Southwest Museum, Autry National Center. Some of our metal objects
>> are in close contact with thin polyethylene foam sheets (source
>> unknown). Therefore we started to test some of these polyethylene
>> foams (Ethafoam, Cellu-Cushion and ones from unknown sources). During
>> our several Oddy tests we found that when in contact with metal
>> coupons the foam (especially the thin sheets, not the thick plank
>> ones) leave zebra imprints and cause corrosion. Some people I talked
>> to were concerned about the permeability agent used in thin
>> polyethylene sheets and Scott Williams of CCI did some research about
>> this. We concluded that it was OK to use thin polyethylene sheets on
>> organic objects and on glass and ceramics, but when in direct contact
>> with metals (polished or not) we use a layer that doesn't affect
>> metals.
>>
>> Özge Gençay Üstün
>> Assistant Conservator
>> Southwest Museum of the American Indian
>> Autry National Center of the American West
>> 234 Museum Drive
>> Los Angeles, CA  90065
>> Phone: (323) 221-2164 x250
>> Fax: (323) 224-8223
>>

>> 2012/2/24 Ann Frisina <[log in to unmask]>:
>>> If you are speaking of a yellowing which occurs within closed
>>> cell polyethylene foam planks then Scott Williams of CCI spoke about
> this
>>> issue back in 1998.  Below is a link to his detailed explanation.

>>> St. Paul, MN 55413