MOMS Archives

Museum on Main Street

MOMS@SI-LISTSERV.SI.EDU

From:
Trudy Hickey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Museum on Main Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:24:29 -0400
Like other states, Maine's Office of Tourism was not able to offer any
financial help last year when we toured Barn Again, but they were happy to
place our brochures in display racks at the state visitors centers at no
cost to us. (We delivered brochures to their central office, and they did
the rest.) In addition, they added our promotional information to the
state's tourism web site listings, which meant that we got at least a little
visibility with people "from away" planning trips to Maine.

We didn't find any money available from other state government branches
either, but Maine's Department of Agriculture was extremely helpful in
supporting the effort. One of their staff who works directly with Maine
farmers served on our planning committee and provided a great deal of
background material and advice for our exhibit tour. Another state agency,
the Maine Historic Preservation Commission, offered us staff and provided
old photos and other archival resources for the project.

The rest we managed through networking, press releases, a prominent section
on our own web site, and using local contacts in the host communities.

Best wishes,

Trudy Hickey
Office Manager/Special Projects Coordinator
Maine Humanities Council
674 Brighton Avenue
Portland, ME  04102
Phone: 207-773-5051