From:
Jessie Firth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2010 16:38:38 +1000
Hi
Last year I used Cyclododecane very successfully to remove a large amount of fluorescein dye that had bleed onto a lifejacket. Fluorescein is a VERY water-soluble dye that was designed to leave a visible stain in the seawater around the person to be rescued. I used the CDD to mask the fabric surrounding the stains and used a small attachment on our wet vac (I had a very small opening) to draw DI water through the stain. This system worked very well but I did get a small amount of haloing  of the dye under the very edge of the CDD (again this dye is extremely water soluble).

Due to the low melt temperature of CDD I had a lot of trouble applying the CDD and getting it to penetrate the fabric as we don’t have and heated dropper systems in our lab. After trying a lot of methods of using melted CDD (paintbrush, pipetts etc.) I ended up by spooning small amounts of powdered CDD on to the area and then melting it into the fabric with a heated spatula set at 60 degrees Celsius. This was a very successful and quick application method with very little waste. In areas where I had access, I applied the CDD to both sides of the fabric to ensure there was full penetration of the thick twill fabric.

As there was a deadline for this object I accelerated the sublimation of the CDD by leaving the life jacket in the fume hood overnight with the shield mostly closed and the air stream passing over the areas of CDD. This worked very well and the thick layers of CDD were removed in about 24 hours.

If you are going to use CDD on a suction table I would continually monitor your CDD barrier to make sure the increased airflow doesn't sublimate your barrier film too quickly. You could also put a Mylar barrier in specific areas to protect your CDD from air flow. I enjoyed using CDD and would recommend you do some playing with it to see if it will work in your situation.
Good Luck

Jessie Firth
Textile Conservator
Australian War Memorial