From:
Margaret Geiss-Mooney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:39:06 -0800
Good morning, fellow TexCon'rs - How I responded to the question posed
earlier.
Regards,
Meg Geiss-Mooney
Textile/Costume Conservator
Professional Associate, AIC

From: Margaret Geiss-Mooney [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Subject: [qhl] RE: Question about rolling quilts for storage

Good morning, QHLers - As a textile/costume conservator in private practice
here in northern California, I do recommend rolled storage for quilts BUT
not as a wholesale recommendation (i.e. EVERY quilt in the collection is
rolled). EACH quilt must be assessed for which type/technique of storage
would be the best in the long run for THAT quilt. I usually recommend that
silk-laden crazy quilts (even painted) never be rolled, for example, because
of their propensity for shattering (they usually are already going down that
road quickly). The current physical condition of the other styles of quilts
is the primary determination, for me, whether rolled storage is
recommendation. The diameter of the tube/rod needs to be as large as
possible - I recommend at least 2-1/2" - 3" OD, preferably larger. Any tying
around must be done carefully and not cinch down into the rolled textile
(even those the deceased grandmothers would be rolling in their graves
because the ties are loose enough for one finger to be inserted under the
tie). For those one-woman operations, I recommend that a rolling/hanging
cart be obtained (I love the Metro™ shelving component system) to serve as
the "other pair of hands needed" when getting a rolled textile out of
storage and when the rolled textile has to be moved.

No matter the style of storage (rolled, boxed, flat, draped, hanging), it
must be executed thoughtfully and without haste. Great ideas and intentions
will be overshadowed if the actual storage process is done by personnel
(whether trained or untrained; paid or volunteer) following a cookie-cutter
direction (ALL the quilts are to be rolled) who hurry thru the process.

Now stepping off her soap box. Can you tell I will be leading a workshop on
costume/textile storage next month!? <g>  And don't get me started on padded
hangers that are made up in bulk by well-meaning volunteers without even
looking at/measuring the intended costume!?
Regards,
Margaret (Meg) Geiss-Mooney
Textile/Costume Conservator
Professional Associate, AIC

....Is the conservation community still recommending rolled
storage for quilts and, if so, why?  Are there any new techniques that are
now being recommended?.....