From:
"Virginia J. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 20:32:19 +0000
When dyeing my initial samples (1g or .5 g fiber), I use eight glass jars (heat resistant) numbered and positioned in a large metal pot (I use those heavy aluminum pots with lids typically used for cooking). A wire rack on the bottom of the pot keeps the jars away from the metal (to prevent the glass from cracking or tilting on an often-uneven bottom surface). The pot is filled with a depth of water (level with the liquid in each jar) and rests on the heat source.  Each 200ml jar easily accomodates a 100:1 (liquid: fiber) ratio with plenty of float room for the fiber. The heat is consistent for all samples (no hot spots as often found on hot plates) and is easy to control. When I am ready to dye the final yardage, the proportionate amount of liquid goes in one of several other pots (1 gal. 2 gal, 4 gal) so the fiber is always submerged with lots of float room.

Lots of little things encourage even dye take-up (e.g. sufficient pre-soaking of fiber to allow interstices of fiber to become saturated, appropriate amounts/types of leveling additives etc) but it seems that constant stirring makes a huge difference to the success of the dyeing. Getting an Ipod has helped me from going insane as I stand there and stir and stir and stir.

Virginia

--
Virginia J. Whelan
Textile Conservator