From:
Sarah Lowengard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 14:56:08 -0400
I am about to begin a project involving some late 20th century/early
21st century industrial and experimental textiles. The group is varied
in technique, material and projected uses.  With the exception of
polyester, the materials used are not those regularly encountered by
most textile conservators --or, at least, not as a principal component.
The "oldest" of the lot was produced about 12 years ago.

As background to this study, I am looking for sources of information
about behavioral characteristics or predictions of behavior over time,
anecdotal or documented descriptions of deterioration or longevity and
other catalogues of long-term care strategies. I am especially
interested in the relationship between production technqiues and
preservation.  I have checked most of the standard art conservation and
textile industry databases with (predictably) few results.

Can anyone suggest relevant publications I might not have seen?  Has
anyone compiled a bibliography recently that she would be willing to
share with me?  Would anyone who has worked on these classes of textiles
be willing to talk to me (off-list or on)?

I do recognize that literature and experiences might be either extremely
general or extremely specific and am willing to work through that myself.

Thanks very much

Sarah

Sarah Lowengard
New York City