Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 14 May 2010 10:01:23 +0100
From:
Joanne Hackett <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Hello Kim,
I would suggest Clare Browne at the V&A, who is both an expert on lace and in 18th century textiles in general.

best regards
Joanne Hackett

>>> Kim Kotary <[log in to unmask]> 14/05/2010 01:05 >>>

Hello,

A colleague of mine has discovered a Robe a la Francaise dated from 1740 with crocheted lace trim.  Contacts at the museum that owns the piece insist that the trim is original to the gown but have no scholarly info about the crocheted trim.  If the trim is original to the gown, it is one of the oldest documented pieces of crochet in the world.

The lace is constructed mostly in chain stitches.  This makes it a logical transition from tambour work to "stitches in the air."

I apologize for the vagueness about the actual robe, my colleague is hoping to publish an article about the find.

Can any of you refer me to a lace scholar who might help verify or disprove that this crocheted lace is or isn't original to the garment?  Has anyone else come across other crochet from the mid 18th century or before?

Thanks you for your assistance,
Kim Kotary

http://kkotary.webs.com/