From:
Maria Scherrers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2017 08:14:06 -0400
Hello everyone,

we use departments very similar to Chad Petrov: their main strength is the security management - who can do what with which objects? That is in some way linked to the classifications, but not always mirrored. We do have a deaccession department, for example, which has objects with very different classifications. If everyone could see them it would just confuse, so people have the possibility to 'opt out' from seeing deaccessioned objects.
On the other hand we have two different departments for one document classification, as some of them are highly confidential and only very few people are allowed to see them.

So in the mentioned case with African and Contemporary Art, I would use classifications. Or maybe even consider using the thesaurus. That would give you a lot more flexibility and with the new polyhierarchy you can actually have 'contemporary African art".

Maria Scherrers
History Management
adidas AG