From:
Margaret Geiss-Mooney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 21:14:01 -0700
PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT USE WATER TO CLEAN UNLESS YOUR WATER QUALITY IS
EXCELLENT AND YOU TEST FOR WATER FASTNESS FIRST!
OK, I'll stop ::yelling:: now <g>
Do check out the National Park Service Conserve-O-Gram series on care of
collections (of all kinds and types) at
http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/conserv.html  (this
is one line but may be wrapped by my e-mail program)
PDFs are available for downloading and/or printing.

I have had very good luck using the MicroChamber/Silversafe papers available
from Conservation Resources International (www.conservationresources.com) as
interleaving and wrapping of textile items with odor problems (i.e. smoke
from a fire; mould/mildew from improper storage; mothball overkill) before I
then bag them up (in polyethlene sheeting and/or bags) for further
treatment. The MicroChamber/Silversafe absorbs odors very well and is
affordable enough to be disposable once treatment is begun. And, as already
has been mentioned, you must be very careful and take all of the precautions
to protect the workers' health and well being while handling any textiles
with musty odors that might be caused by mould/mildew.

Regards,
Meg Geiss-Mooney
Textile/Costume Conservator
Professional Associate, AIC