From:
Joanne Hackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2011 10:47:01 +0000
Hello Kim,
For reference;

Conservation of Leather and Related Materials.  Edited by Marion Kite and Roy Thompson.  Elsevier Ltd. 2006.  ISBN 13: 978-0-7506-4881-3

pp 115 section 12.6  The 'Finish'
'The final finish or dressing given to an object as part of the conservation process is an issue that requires consideration.  A finish or dressing is often applied for aesthetic reasons rather than on conservation grounds.  A leather dressing may brighten the object and give it a 'finished' look, but may not actually contribute to its conservation.  Finishes may lead to problems in the long run, so care should be taken.  Dressings may absorb dirt and may create a tacky surface.  If they contain inappropriate ingredients or if too much is applied these may spew into the surface.  Spew is a white surface deposit of free fatty acids which may be confused with mould.'

Or, they could go straight to the source; Marion Kite ACR, Head of Furniture, Textiles and Fashion Conservation.  Victoria and Albert Museum.

Best Regards
Joanne Hackett

>>> Kim Baird <[log in to unmask]> 06/01/2011 01:55 >>>
I'm trying to help a private museum that has many leather flight jackets from the 20th century. Most have painted badges attached, or painting directly on the leather.

The staff would like to keep them in their current condition, but their boss is insisting they should treat the leather. I have referred them to the National Park Service Conserve O Gram 9/1, Leather Dressing: To Dress or not to Dress. However, that information is from 1993 and earlier. I wonder if there is some more recent research they could cite.

Or, is there an acknowledged leather expert in the museum world to whom I could refer them?

Thanks for your help.
Kim Baird
Textile historian