From:
"Munro, Jeremy T." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2019 13:54:14 +0000
Hey Amanda,

For awhile I was very into using data rich filenames. For example, for object media the filename would be based on the object number, for loans, the loan number, etc. This is the more traditional naming structure of 2005_46_1v1, in DAMS it might have the artist last name after it or for a loan agreement it might have a -agmt at the end.

Recently I was converted to the school of filenames aren't all that critical, what matters is the metadata embedded in the asset or attached to it in TMS/DAMS. Here at NMAFA rendition numbers are just - Prefix, Year, Number of Asset in that Year which looks like R2019001. TMS and DAMS already coordinate the object relationships to the object record etc., so there's no need for us at least to throw a bunch of metadata in a filename. For an upcoming digitzation project the filenames will just be the UUID generated from the TMS barcodes.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy Munro
Database Administrator
National Museum of African Art