From:
Michelle VanAuken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2019 09:03:01 -0400
Good day to all.

Would anyone be interested in sharing some thoughts on field usage in the TMS Media Module, and/or if that usage coincides with their image filenames?

I have seen the "Media View" be a duplicate of an image filename suffix (ie: image filename=1999.20_recto, Media View=recto; image filename=1999.20_detail upper right, Media View=detail upper right). I've also seen image filenames have a numeric suffix (1999.20, 1999.20_01, 1999.20_02, etc.) and the view be designated under "Media View". With "Media View" being a free-text field, the list can become rather extensive. We'd like to standardize the use of this field and are interested in the way others use it and if there are completely different scenarios other than those mentioned to be considered.

What do you use as your authority list for "Media View Type" (ie: condition, document, historic record, hi-res tiff, etc.)?

With regard to image naming conventions, how do you name 3D object images, such as a bowl without a designated front or face? Do you select a view to be designated as the primary image, naming subsequent images with the same name and a suffix (_01, _02, view1, view2, or other)? Any pros/cons, or additional thoughts or ideas?

I'd greatly appreciate the chance to learn how your organization manages these topics, as well as any other media data standards you may have implemented and are willing to share.

Thank you, in advance.

Michelle

- - - -
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people." Steve Jobs
- - - -
Michelle VanAuken
Information Service Technologist, University Museums
Picker Art Gallery and Longyear Museum of Anthropology;
Visual Resources Assistant Curator, Art and Art History
315.228.7692
www.colgate.edu/picker and www.colgate.edu/longyear